How to Become Police Officer in Nigeria
To join to the Nigeria police is a top job in Nigeria.
The Nigerian police is the major internal security agency in Nigeria.
The Nigeria Police job comes with enormous responsibility as it involves protection of lives and properties.
Even though the standard of policing in Nigeria is below the approved international standards, It is a dream for most Nigerian youths to join the Nigerian Police Force.
Some people may argue that unemployment is one of the reasons for high applications by Nigerian youth to join the police.
However this cannot be proven and facts remain that some applicants gunning for the police jobs in Nigeria, has dreams to protect lives and properties.
There are many way to join police in Nigeria. This Will form our major discourse on this post.
Every year, the Nigerian police present different recruitment programs and windows which is geared towards presenting Nigerian youths with opportunities to join Nigerian police.
Nigeria police recruitment is one of the most competitive security agencies recruitments in Nigeria.
Some of the easiest ways to join police in Nigeria are through attending Nigeria Police Academy.
Also, one can join Nigerian Police as a graduate.
Another way of joining Police is Nigeria is through Joining Police recruits i.e joining police with WAEC or o level certificate.
All these different ways of joining police and their requirements will be discussed.
We will be starting with how to join Police Academy in Nigeria.
How To Join Nigeria Police Academy
One can become a top police officer in Nigeria by joining Police Academy in Nigeria.
Nigeria police academy is located at Wudil, Kano Nigeria.
It is top and the major police training and educational institution where different formations of police cadets are trained and educated.
It is also a degree awarding academy, upon graduation, cadets are commissioned as Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP).
Applicants for Nigeria police academy are also to sit for UTME examination before applying for admission into Nigeria police academy.
Basic Admission Requirements for Joining Nigeria Police Academy
Below are some major requirements and conditions upon which an applicant can be selected for joining the Nigeria police academy.
- Candidates seeking admission into the Academy must be Nigerian citizens and must be between 17 and 22 years of age, and must have a height of not less than 1.67 Meters (5 Feet 6 Inches) if male, and 1.62 Meters (5 Feet 4 Inches) if female. In addition, male
- candidates must have an expanded chest size of not less than 86 cm (34 Inches).
- All candidates must be free from any physical deformity or mental disability.
- Candidates must have obtained a minimum of SIX (6) credits at the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) conducted by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), the National Examinations Council (NECO) or the National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB) at not more than 2 sittings and including a credit pass in English Language and Mathematics as well as subjects relevant to the candidate’s chosen course of study in the Academy.
- Candidates must also obtain satisfactory scores in both the written examination and the interview and must pass physical and psychological tests of fitness.
Joining Nigeria Police Through Mass Recruitment
Another way of joining or enlisting into the Nigerian police is through mass recruitment. Annually, the Nigerian police through Police Service Commission (PSC) conducts recruitment exercises which are aimed at improving or replacing the police personnel in Nigeria.
The Nigeria mass police recruitment can be for both junior and senior officers or for junior officers (Constables).
How To Join Nigerian Police As Graduate
To join Nigerian police as graduate, applicant will have to apply during the police mass recruitment for Assistant Superintendent of Police.
This is equivalent to the level 8 in federal civil service.
Upon selection, the new officers are subjected to a 6 months intensive training at police College Jos.
After the training, they are commissioned as Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP)
Salary For Graduates in Nigeria Police
A fresh graduate who joins the Nigeria police will be placed on the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police which is level 8.
Salary for graduates in Nigeria Police is N127,604 per month.
This is the monthly salary of graduates in Nigeria police.
How To Join Nigerian Police as Recruit
To join Nigeria Police with WAEC certificate or O level certificate is the only way to join police as recruit in Nigeria.
Upon selection, the officer are placed in the rank of Constable.
Those who wish to join Nigerian police as recruits will have to apply during annual general police recruitment in Nigeria.
Upon selection, the new officers will be trained at police College, OjI, Enugu State for six months.
Salary for Police Recruits in Nigeria
Salaries for police recruits in Nigeria is pegged at N43,293 per month.
This is salary for police officers with WAEC certificate.
Basic Requirements for Joining Nigeria Police for ASP & Constables
Below are the general requirements for applicants willing to join police in Nigeria.
- Applicant must not be less than 1.67m tall for men and 1.63m for women.
Must have an expanded chest measurement of 86.34cm for men.
- The applicant must not be an ex-convict.
Applicants Must be a Nigerian citizen.
- He/she must be medically, mentally and physically fit.
- Applicants Must have an ID, either the national ID, voter’s card or other valid forms of identification.
- Applicants Must provide two verifiable references from either a traditional ruler or local government chairman or from other eligible persons as recommended by the police.
When is Nigeria Police Recruitment 2023
Police recruitment for 2023 is already generating many questions.
There is no date yet for Nigeria police recruitment for the year 2023.
Interested applicants are advised to follow Nigeria Police Force (NPF) official social media handlers and follow as well the mainstream media like national newspapers and national television stations.
How To Apply For Nigeria Police Jobs
To apply for Police jobs in Nigeria, interested applicants will have to follow Nigeria Police official communications channels so as to know when call for applications to join Nigeria police will be made.
After announcing calls for applications, Nigeria police website for recruitment will be opened for reception of applications.
Interested applicants will be expected to do the following:
- Visit and complete the application form
- Print out every necessary documents
- Take note of the examination and screening date and participate actively
- Wait for the shortlist of successful applicants