How To Join Army in Nigeria
To join Nigerian Army is a dream for most young Nigerians.
It is pride and commands huge respect to be identified with Nigerian army.
Annually, through different recruitment programs, the Nigerian army presents opportunities for enlisting into Nigeria army to Nigerian youths.
Joining Nigerian army requires applicants to meet certain criteria and conditions.
There are many ways of joining Nigerian army and each of these ways of joining the Nigerian army requires a criteria and following a laid down process.
Some of the ways of joining the Nigerian army includes, joining the army as graduate in Nigeria.
Also, one can join the Nigerian army as O level holder.
This process is popularly known as join the army as recruit in Nigeria.
Another way of joining the Nigerian army is though Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA).
These are the major ways of joining and enlisting in Nigerian Army.
We will one after the other break down the requirements for joining the Nigerian army under different enlistment programs.
How To Join Nigerian Army As Graduate
To join Nigerian army as graduate, applicants will have to apply for Nigerian Army recruitment exercises called Direct Short Service Commission and Short Service Commission (DSSC & SSC).
These two army recruitment exercises in Nigeria are specifically targeted at graduates only.
This is how professionals like Doctors, pharmacists, Nurses, Engineers can join Nigerian army.
So through DSSC and SSC is the only windows through a graduate can join the Nigerian army.
Nigerian Army Direct Short Service Commission
Nigerian army Direct Short Service Commission is a recruitment exercise targeted as young professionals like doctors, nurses, pharmacists, engineers etc to join the army and provide these essential services to the military.
They are referred to as non combatant service. Which means they are not primarily trained to lead troops in wars and operations.
Period of training for DSSC is six months and successful candidates are commissioned as lieutenant.
Nigerian Army Short Service Commission
Short Service Commission is another Nigerian army recruitment exercise for graduates which seeks to employ young graduates and train them to be active in army operations and a combatant officers.
This type of recruitment cover a period of 9 months intensive training and successful candidates are commissioned as second lieutenant.
Requirements for Joining the Army as Graduate (DSSC & SSC)
The following are basic requirements one must meet before joining the army as a graduate.
In otherwords, these are core basic requirements for Nigerian army DSSC & SSC.
- Be a Nigerian as defined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Be a male or female between the ages of 22 and 35 years, while medical consultants be not more than 40 years of age.
- Be medically, mentally and physically fit according to NA standards.
- Be recommended by at least 2 recognizable referees who must attest to the applicant character and integrity. These could be by a Local Government Chairman/Secretary or an officer of the Armed Forces not below the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel and equivalent or an Assistant Commissioner of Police and above who must hail from the state of the applicant. Passport photographs of referees must be affixed to the letter of attestation.
- Candidates must submit a letter of Attestation from their former institutions.
- Candidates must Measure at least 1.68m (for male) and 1.65m (for female) in height.
- Candidates Must not have been convicted by any court of law. Military personnel must be free from any disciplinary case (This is to be endorsed by the Commanding Officer/Commander).
- Applicants must tender all original copies of educational certificates (primary to post-secondary).
- Candidates must Possess at least a first degree with not less than Second Class Lower Division or HND of not less than Lower Credit from any recognized institution of learning.
- Possess valid birth certificate endorsed by the National Population Commission, Hospital or Local Government Council or valid age declaration.
- Applicants must Possess a valid certificate of state of origin.
How To Join Nigerian Army As Soldier
To join Nigerian army as a soldier involves partaking in Nigerian Army recruitment known as Regular Intake course.
This is known as recruitment for Trades men/women and Non trades men/women.
This Nigerian army recruitment involves enlisting into army both skilled and non skilled trades men/women.
This is how to join Nigerian army as recruit or as soldier.
It is also the only way to join Nigerian army as WAEC holder or o level holder.
It can also be referred to as how to join the Nigerian army with WAEC certificate.
Basic Requirements for Joining Nigerian Army as Soldier/ Recruit
These are the basic requirements for joining the army in Nigeria as a soldier and recruit.
- Applicants must possess a minimum of 4 credits in not more than 2 sittings. WASSCE / GCE / NECO / NABTEB. One of the credits must be the English Language.
- Candidates must not be less than 1.65 metres and 1.56 metres tall for male and female applicants respectively.
- Candidates applying as tradesmen women must also possess OND/Trade Test/City and Guild Certificate.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 to 22 years for non-tradesmen women while tradesmen women must be between the ages of 18 to 26years.
- Applicants must have a broad chest and no flat foot.
- Most importantly, Applicants must be Nigerian by birth.
How to Join Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA)
In this section of the post, how to gain admission into Nigerian Defence Academy will be discussed.
Nigeria Defence Academy is a leading military and educational institution for Nigerian Airforce, Nigerian Navy and Nigerian Army.
Joining Nigerian Defence Academy is one of the major ways of joining the Army in Nigeria.
The Nigeria Defence Academy is located in Kaduna state and is the major military school in Nigeria.
Graduates of this leading military school are awarded degree in their fields of study.
They are commissioned into second lieutenant upon graduation.
It is important to note that NDA is a regular combatant program as commissioned officer are to partake heavily in military operations.
This is requirements for joining the Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA).
Admission Requirements for Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA)
The following requirements and conditions are required before one can be offered admission into Nigeria Defence Academy.
- You must have completed your Senior School Certificate Examination (WAEC or NECO) or a GCE O’ Level with at least five credits passes in not more than two sittings. With a minimum of credit pass in Mathematics and English Language.
- Admission into the Faculty of Science, Faculty of Military Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, you must have a minimum of credit passes in two relevant supporting subjects with credits in all compulsory subjects.
- Admission into Faculty of Engineering, credit pass in only one supporting relevant subject with credit pass in all compulsory subjects is required.
- Age for the admission into the academy is between 17 years old and 21 years old as at the time of the admission.
- You must have a height of 1.68 meters and above if you are a male applicant or 1.58 meters if you are a female applicant.
- You must physically and medically fit with proof and you must have good moral character.
- You must be single without any legal obligations to support another individual for the period of your training.
- You must have a Certificate of State of Origin from your Local Government Office or a Certificate of State Indigene from your state governor’s office.
How To Apply For Nigeria Army Jobs
To apply for Army jobs in Nigeria, interested applicants will have to follow Nigeria Army official communications channels so as to know when call for applications to join Nigeria army will be made.
After announcing calls for applications, Nigeria army website for recruitment will be opened for reception of applications.
Interested applicants will be expected to do the following:
- Visit and complete the application form
- Print out every necessary documents
- Take note of the examination and screening date and participate actively
- Wait for the shortlist of successful applicants
These are some of the easiest ways to join army in Nigeria and defend Nigeria against external enemies.