How To Get Birth Certificate in Nigeria
Birth certificate is a very important document deserving of every Nigerian. It is an official document given to every person born in Nigeria bearing the date and place of birth as well as identity of the bearer.
It is a very important document in Nigeria which is required for official proposes like job applications, admission into higher institutions and during acquisition of international passport etc.
The focus of this article is on how to get and obtain original birth certificate in Nigeria.
National population commission (NPC) is the agency charged with responsibility of registering of births and issuance of birth certificates in Nigeria.
The office of National Population Commission can be found at all local government secretariat across the country and at all government owned hospitals. It is easier to obtain birth certificate within 60 days of birth than later on.
This write up will explore how to get birth certificate for both newly born babies and older persons born in Nigeria.
Specifically, this write up will explore how to get birth certificate from National Population Commission (NPC).
Also, this article will serve as guide on how to obtain birth certificate for children born in hospitals and medical institutions and those born outside hospitals.
Morestill, this blog post will provide the cost & price of getting original birth certificate in Nigeria.
Steps For Obtaining Birth Certificates For Children Born In Hospitals
1. Obtain proof of birth from hospital where a birth took place. This is usually given by hospitals and health centers where a birth took place.
2. The proof of birth should be taken to any National Population Commission office within the hospital or at local government secretariat.
3. On presentation of proof of birth at NPC office, documentation of the birth will be done, and a certificate will be prepared and issued for the new born baby.
It is also important to note that birth certificate will be issued freely so long as it was applied for within sixty (60) days of birth.
Steps For Obtaining Birth Certificate For Children Born Outside Hospitals Or Health Centers
In some instances, a child might be born outside hospital or medical institution and such situation will leave child lacking proof of birth from hospital.
In such situations, a slightly different steps from those born in hospitals will be needed so as to obtain birth certificate for the newly born child.
The steps for obtaining and getting Original birth certificates in Nigeria for children under this category will follow the steps below:
1. Obtain an affidavit of birth from local government secretariat where the child is born. The affidavit will serve as proof of birth.
2. Present the obtained birth affidavit to any National Population Commission office within local government secretariat and hospitals.
3. Upon presentation of the affidavit at National Population Commission office, documentation of the birth will be carried out and a birth certificate will be prepared and issued for the newly born child.
How To Obtain Birth Certificate For Persons Under The Age Of 18 In Nigeria
For some reasons, one may not have a birth certificate or have lost his or her already issued birth certificate.
There are steps to follow to get another birth certificate in as much as the applicant is under 18 years old.
In this situation, the applicant will have to obtain age declaration from the court, which will be presented to National Population Commission office.
A form will be given the applicant to fill and, in most cases, a specific amount is charged.
Upon completion of application form, birth certificate will be prepared and issued to the applicant.
For applicants above 18 years of age, an attestation of birth will be issued by NPC and some money might be charged for the issuance of attestation of birth.
This attestation of birth will back up a sworn age declaration affidavit.