Crude Oil is Nigeria’s most precious raw material.
Crude oil was discovered in Nigeria in 1956, while its main exploration and refining process began in the late 1950’s.
As at that time, only foreign companies were responsible for the exploration process as Nigeria didn’t have sophisticated equipments to carry out the task.
Although all activities were supervised by the Nigerian government at that period.
In no time, the oil industry boomed into a giant and grew immensely.
Time has changed and many Nigerians has become major players in Nigeria’s oil and gas industry.
Owing and having licence to oil wells in Nigeria is a very lucrative business deal and contract sanctioned only by the federal government of Nigeria.
The list of people in Nigeria that own and operate oil wells have somewhat been shrouded in secrecy until lately.
Criticisms has continued to directed at the ownership of oil wells in Nigeria, with many insisting that ownership of oil wells in Nigeria is ethnically imbalanced.
This led to people looking more into the details and roster of oil well owners in Nigeria.
Facts remain the oil well ownership or owners in Nigeria is not reserved for a section of Nigeria.
List of Nigeria oil well owners shows that people from all divide of Nigeria are enlisted in those people and billionaires in Nigeria that owns oil and gas wells in Nigeria.
In 1997, the Nigerian National Petroleum Commission (NNPC) was established and owned by the federal government.
The main objective of this firm was to ensure Nigeria’s participation in the exploration process and to regulate the activities of the other bodies involved in the oil industry in Nigeria.
Nigeria today is the biggest Africa’s oil producer with an average production of 2.5-million-barrel production each day in 2022.
Also, Nigeria is recognized in the world as sixth with the largest oil production capacity as stated by the NNPC group.
Most importantly, within the past few years, Nigeria economy has largely been supported and dependent on the oil income and revenue.
Statistics also shows that Nigeria’s GDP consists of about 9% of petroleum.
Now to the history of oil wells. Before Nigeria became an exporter and producer of crude, early before oil was discovered in commercial quantity, it was already well known that the Nigerian land is rich in oil.
In 1903, licenses were given to companies with equipment and financial resource enough to cover the exploration process.
Shell D’Arcy Petroleum Group in Nigeria, began exploration process in 1937, and until 1951 drilling began and the very first oil well was dug in Oloibiri area.
Successively, in pursuit of commercial oil, drilling activities were extended to areas like Eket, Ohaji/Egbema where more oil was found in massive quantities.
Oil wells are like reservoirs of crude oil below the earth crust which contains oil that can be refined and produced.
For the purpose of balance and maintenance, Nigerians are awarded ownership to about 52 percent of the oil wells in Nigeria while foreign companies own 46 percent in total.
These oil well are given to rich Nigerians at a bid, to ensure that only those who are financially capable are awarded the owners.
In this article, you will find a list of Nigerians that own one or more oil wells in the country.
Crude Oil Wells in Nigeria and Their Owners
Below is the comprehensive list of people in Nigeria that own and operate oil wells. Here is Nigerians with oil well contracts
1. Colonel Sanni Bello presides the board of International Petroleum Development Company who are the owners of NOML 112 and OML 177
2. Alhaji Mohammed Ludimi owns OML 115
3. General Theophilus Danjuma presides the board of SAPETRO who are the owners of OPL 246
4. Alhaji W.I. Folawiyo presides the board of Yinka Folawiyo LTD who are the owners of OML 113
5. Alhaji Aminu Dantata presides the board of Express Petroleum Company Limited who are the owners of OML 108
6. Alhaji Sela Mohammed Gambo presides the board of Nor East Petroleum Limited who are the owners of OML 215
7. Prince Nasiru Ado Bayero presides the board of Seppat Petroleum Limited who are the owners of ASUOKPU/UMUTU
8. Alhaji Mai Daribo owns OML 110
9. Rilwan Lukman presides the board of AMNI who are the owners of OML 112 and OML 117
10. Atiku Abubakar, Yar’ Adua, and Bayero own Intels Petroleum which has many stakes
11. Dan Etete presides the board of Malibu Oil and Gas Company who are the owners of OPL 245
12. Peter Odili presides the board of RivGas Oil and Gas Company who are the owners of OPL 289 and OPL 233
13. Andy Uba presides the board of Focus Energy who are the owners of OPL 248
14. Emeka Offor has a stake in Starcrest Energy Nigeria Limited managers of OPL 291
15. Mike Adenuga Presides the board of Conoil which owns 6 oil blocks
16. Alfred James petroleums are the owners of OPL 302 along with the Sijiuade family,
17. Femisola Awosika and A.O. Adeyinka
Ibrahim Bunu presides the board of Optimum Petroleum owners OPL 310
18. O. Udoji presides the board of 2 Soglas Nigeria Limited owners OPL 226
19. Saleh Jambo presides the board of 2 North East Petroleum owners OPL 215
20. Sanni Bello owns a stake in OPL 112 and OPL 117
21. Aminu Alhassan dantata presides the board of Express Petroleum Committee owners OPL 108 and OPL 227
22. Arthur Eze presides the board of Atlas Petroleum Intl. Limited owners OPL 109
23. K.O Abiola presides the board of Summit Oil owners OPL 205 and OPL 206
24. Mohammed Indimi presides the board of Oriental Energy Resources owners of OPL 115
25. Kase Lawal presides the board of Allied Energy Resources Big Limited owners OPL 120 & 121
26. Olukun A. presides the board of Summit Oil owners OPL 122
27. David Richards along with 3 others chair the board of Niger Delta Western owners OPL 34
28. Ibukun Olawepo, Rachel Akintola, and others run Oil World owners of OPL 241
29. A.B.C Orjiako presides the board of Zebbra Energy Limited who are the owners of OPL 248
30. Reggie Uduhim presides the board of Oil and Gas Limited who are the owners of OPL 249
31. B. Lulu Briggs owns OPL 114, OPL 231, OPL 234, and OPL 239
32. Mai Derive presides the board of Cavendish Petroleum Big Ltd owners of OPL 110
33. Said Kuashi presides the board of Crown Well Petroleum owners of OPL 226
34. Module Alakija presides the board of Famta Oil Limited owners of OPL 216
35. Appia Korang, A. Peppe, Oba Gbadebo, O.A Kpata, O. Adeyemo, M.O Osunsanya, O. Boyo, J.A Tinubu chair the board of Oando owners of OPL 278, 236
36. Onoh Anthony and others such as Onoh Christiana, Onoh Ngozi, George Udoekong, Nwauche Erastus chair the board of Eurafric Energy Limited Dawes Island owners of OML 54
37. Unejei T, Akinro C.A along with others chair the board of Bicta Energy
38. Ewendu Chidi along with others presides the board of Platform Petroleum Limited owners of OML 38
39. Du- Frayed along with others such as Baba Lawal, Cole Tonye, Odunsi Ade, Adeniji Titi, Akinla Ladipo, Bentley John, Ciroma Musa chair the board of Sahara Energy & African Oil Ltd owners of OML 40 oil well.
40. Fatona Layi along with others such as Aret Adams, Uduimp Itsueli, Sammy Olagbaju, David Richard, Udi Ibru presides the board of Niger Delta Company owners of OML 54
41. Macpepple Victoria along family members such as MacPepple Henry, Macpepple Joy, MacPepple Emmanuel, MacPepple Elfrida manage Prime Petr. Ltd & Suffolk Petroleum manages OML 11
42. Usman Danburran and along Alhaji Indimi chair the board of Oriental Energy owners of OML 67
43. Aliyu Abubakar in a co-venture with Brigidi David, Alamieyesheiga Anitonbrapa, Ifimaim Ekine, Jonathan Selereipre, Enddeley Francis, Chinwetelu Chris, Williams E.J presides the board of Bayelsa Oil Company Ayala owners of OML 46.
44. Nwauche Erastus along others such as Onoh Anthony, Onoh Christiana, Onoh Ngozi, George Udoekong manages the board of Eurafric Energy Limited Dawes Island owners of OML 54
I hope you found the article informative and helpful. Please, remember to share it with your friends and leave a comment below.